Our Building

 

733 Euclid Street Northwest
Washington, DC, 20001
United States

This formerly abandoned building is an historic landmark. Since the early 1900s it was owned by the National Association for the Relief of Destitute Colored Women and Children and has been in service to the Black community ever since.

Located between Georgia and Sherman Avenues, the Center is directly across the street from Banneker High School, and a half a block west of Howard University. It is less then a mile from Shaw-Howard Univ., Columbia Heights, and the Georgia Ave./ Petworth stations; and near three bus lines(70,66,68).   

 

History Of Our Building 

art on the wall.jpg

Our center at 733 Euclid St. NW is a large building that has been in community service for many years. Built in the late 1800s, the original property was four small three story row houses on an 11,400 square foot lot. Over time, the two houses on either side were torn down. The two remaining houses were combined into one and a large two story addition was added in 1930 when the building opened as the Meriwether Home for Destitute Children. What stands today is a large two story building with a smaller third story and basement.

building.jpg

Until 2003, the building was owned by the National Association for the Relief of Destitute Colored Women and Children, an organization whose history dates back to 1863.  For the complete history of this Association and the women who managed it visit the Emerging Women website.

The first two floors comprise most of the community space. The International Capoeira Angola Foundation occupies most of the first floor, promoting the African-Brazilian martial artform of Capoeira Angola. The second floor has two large multi-purpose studios and a meeting room, which can be rented on an hourly basis or used for ECAC programs. There is land on either side which we use for gardening, a front porch and rear deck and a parking lot in the rear for 10 cars.