Our Building

Our center at 733 Euclid St. NW is a large building that has been in community service for many years. Built in the late 1800s, the original property was four small three story row houses on an 11,400 square foot lot. Over time, the two houses on either side were torn down. The two remaining houses were combined into one and a large two story addition was added in 1930 when the building opened as the Meriwether Home for Destitute Children. What stands today is a large two story building with a smaller third story and basement.

Until 2003, the building was owned by the National Association for the Relief of Destitute Colored Women and Children, an organization whose history dates back to 1863.  For the complete history of this Association and the women who managed it visit the Emerging Women website.

The first two floors comprise the majority of the community space. The International Capoeira Angola Foundation occupies most of the first floor, promoting the African-Brazilian martial artform of Capoeira Angola. There is a small rental office on that floor as well. The second floor has two large multi-purpose studios and a meeting room, which can be rented on an hourly basis or used for ECAC programs. There is a second rental space here as well. The third floor has a small library and meditation room which can be rented on an hourly basis as well. There is land on either side which we use for gardening, a front porch and rear deck and a parking lot in the rear for 10 cars.

Take a tour of our building and see the creative ways the spaces can be used.