banner

The financial dealings in the Home are documented in great detail in the Annual Reports, as was required by Congress. The treasurer reports not only listed income and expenses, but donations of every possible item with the name of the donor, and lists of members and subscribers. An appropriation of $5,000 from Congress is noted in the 1877 report, the first appropriation we have record of. Prior to this, the Home was supported by Congress through the allocation of property, rations and medical services. The first year’s income of a little over $3,000 was raised by membership and subscriber dues, donations, and sale of produce grown on the estate. In 1868, the work of the Freedman’s Bureau in Washington, DC was coming to an end and the Association was concerned about its support. An order issued September 23, 1868 annexed the Association to the Freedman’s Hospital so that they would continue to receive medical assistance and rations. From 1877 until at least 1902, the Association received an annual grant ranging from $5,000 in 1877 to $9,900 in 1902. The 1910 report shows an allocation from the Board of Charities of $7,917. A special allocation of $18,000 is granted in 1885 for the completion of the new brick home.

The Government allocations, of course are not enough to run an operation caring for more than 150 children. Membership dues and financial donations helped, but they also received and documented donations of clothes, food, candy, toys, books, Christmas turkeys, and many other day-to-day items. In addition, all of the children’s clothing were made in-house by the seamstress and her assistant. Simple garments were made by the children in the Industrial School as well. With a budget of about .50 cents per child per day to house, clothe, feed and educate them, the women were as adept at pleading for donations for the children as they were at managing the center.

In 1892, all institutions receiving Congressional aid were placed under the Board of Charities and Board of Children’s Guardians. The new program of the Board of Children’s Guardians placed children directly into foster homes, and the Association continued its services to children whose parents could pay a small fee.

footer